Document indexing is the process of tagging documents with values (metadata) to facilitate faster search and retrieval.
Docsvault allows you to add file and folder ‘profiles’, which are a group of customized fields or indexes. You can customize the profile indexes to match your business document requirements.
For example, scanning an invoice and filling up index fields such as invoice number, date, customer name, amount etc.
Here are few tips to use indexes in a smarter way:
- Create appropriate index fields for free form (user input) text, dates and numbers
- Create or import drop-down lists for common labels, such as country, departments, products etc.
- Inherit index values from parent folder
- Allow unique values only to avoid duplicate index values
- Lock an index value to prevent further edition
- Define validation rules for index values to ensure correct format of data
- Make index values mandatory to reduce human errors and maintain consistent document profiling
- Add default value to indexes so new documents have standard values pre-filled
- Automatically fill up index fields with dynamic values such as current username, date and time, or auto increment/decrement of numeric, date and time
- Configure File Name template to automatically name the file being imported and add description or notes based on index values entered
- Document Relations can be setup between documents with same index values allowing users to quickly access related documents
- Index documents using data from an external data source such as ERP, CRM, Accounting and other LOB applications, reducing indexing cycle times and improving data consistency. (This feature is available as the advanced profiles add-on)
- Documents Profile with index values also assist in automation of filing and workflows.
By smartly placing indexes you can perform detailed searches and generate meaningful reports. This turns your repository into an efficient search engine and greatly improves your ability to retrieve relevant information very quickly.